Thursday, June 5, 2008

Santo Tomas

June 4, 2008

Is this real? (pinch…ow! Yep it’s real alright ) I just saw up close and personal a baby being delivered via natural birth. TLC does not do labor and delivery justice…Today we had the unbelievable opportunity to visit Hospital de Santo Tomas, a very large public hospital that serves nearly 80% of the Panamanian population (500+ beds). I learned from the nurses that the services are not free at the hospital but social work is willing to consult with the patient about a payment plan where the patient can pay up to the next pregnancy. The price for a sonogram here is 15 dollars compared to $400 in the U.S., so it seems reasonable. Our group focused on the maternity ward, where we toured and observed the waiting areas for the expectant mothers, the delivery rooms and postpartum area. The most exciting part of my day was when we got to witness Kimberly, a 6.1 pound bundle of joy come shooting out into the world much to my exaltation/horror; there were so many emotions going through me at once that it was hard to describe. One thing I know for sure is that I really appreciate my mother for letting me hold her body hostage for 7 ½ months (I was a preemie) and I truly respect the beauty of child birth.

~Tara Casimir

No comments: