Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Babies!!!!! 6-04-08

Today was one of the biggest highlights of the trip, by far. We went to the Panama maternity hospital. We had a tour and a q&a session with one of the head nurses, and then it was off to the labor and delivery floor. At first it was very slow, which normally they have around 80 births a day if my memory serves me correctly. They have four beds in rooms connected by open doors for the deliveries themselves, and about 10 beds for women in active labor. These 10 beds are all in the same huge room with a nurses station in the middle. Yes, there were multiple women screaming and vomiting at the same time. For the first hour no one was close to giving birth when suddenly, 2 women were! Half of our (15) students went with one woman, and the the other half with the other. I was within four feet of the bed, and yes I saw the entire vaginal birth. It was very easy for the mom, as she had already been in labor for a couple of hours and she had 3 children. I must say, the placenta being massaged out of the mother's belly was surprising, as I had no L&D knowledge. The baby's name was Kimberly and she was just over 6 pounds. I shed some tears in the whole process. The baby girl was just such a beautiful sight. This trip has been great to a estudiante de infermeria!
>Jessica Meerbott

No comments: