Monday, June 2, 2008

Christine Doherty - June 2, 2008

A lot has happened since my last blog!!
I turned 21 on Tuesday, and I had a great day!! I woke up to some of the girls making some pancakes, thanks to Melissa and her mix that she bought!! They were delicious! I really appreciated this treat! We went to the Arraijan clinic that day and I was able to observe some of the pediatric assessments and vaccinations. I decided that I love kids, and I would love to work in Pediatrics! Later that night I went to the Hard Rock Cafe with some of the girls for dinner. It was nice to have some American food!! This was also a wonderful treat that I appreciate! :)

Wednesday we went to the same clinic, and I was able to give vaccinations to children. This was a great experience because I have not been able to work with children yet in our clinical setting back in Florida. On Wednesday I was able to experience Occupation Health with Tania. This day was so exciting because we were able to go to different farms and give vaccinations to the workers. The workers were very appreciative and gave us gifts!! They gave us eggs, mangos, and lemons! I also enjoyed it because we got to ride in a truck and see so many different animals, such as monkeys, bulls, cows, goats, sheep, horses, and more!! It rained, I got very dirty, and it was very smelly, but I still had a great time because it was such a different experience!!

Friday we helped out with a health fair at a local school. At the health fair I gave more vaccinations to children, walked around the community to give vaccinations, and I gave my first Pap smear!! It was an interesting experience!! Some of the other students also took blood pressure and surveyed the homes in the community at the health fair. All of the children were very cute!!


Saturday was a FREE day!! This was amazing because we went to Isla Grande, which was beautiful! We took small boats over to the island and we relaxed by the water. I was able to snorkel for the first time, which I enjoyed, but it was very difficult!! The mask did not fit right and I did not actually have a snorkel because they ran out. I was scared the whole time, but it was an adventure!

Yesterday we went to see the Emberja tribe, which was also on a island where were had to take a boat in order to get there. This was very interesting because we got to learn about their culture and their health care. On of the women had a cut, and she had a leaf wrapped around her leg. She said that it would heal the wound. This is different than what we would do in Florida.

This week has been exhausting, but today was a free day until tonight. I have just been doing homework and getting organized. We will have a dinner tonight at a USF reception!

Hello to everyone back home!! I miss you all and love you!! xoxo


-Christine Doherty

No comments: