Thursday, May 29, 2008

Panama 2008

To me time seems to be going by so fast, To think we have been here for a little over a week and a half and to think about all the wonderful things we got to experience is quite amazing. The first week was a sort of meet and greet week, with a lot of touring and letting others know we were in country. The nursing experience really started taking shape when we were able to visit El Valle. For those who don´t know El Valle sits inside a concave mountain top that was once a volcano dating back three million years ago. Yes, the place was beautiful to say the least. The over night experience was one that will soon not be forgotten. I do have to say thank you to Mellisa for taking care of the zipp lining experience and Jessica M. for getting the majority of us on a horse back trip. These activities really increased the whole El Valle experience. We got back to our hostal on Monday and were to get ready for the next experience at Arraijan. We are spending the next four days there. Monday night was a interesting one to say the least, put 15 intelligent nursing students together to make a poster for teaching and what do you get. Well three card board boxes, eight colorful folders, lots of large print (in Spanish), a roll of duct tape and one bed sheet later our presentation was ready. Well just have to see if the people we get to teach enjoy the display. As for my personal experience I have been able to give vaccines and test peoples blood sugar, the experiences have been eye opening due to the procedural differences between the U.S. and Panama. It is exciting to listen to each other at the end of the day when we try and describe the experiences we had that day. It is difficult to understand if you have never experienced it but it seems that everyone is having some sort of eyeopening situation that helps them look at themselves and others differently. It is almost time to depart for the clinic, I hope that all the family and friends are doing well and I'm sure the girls that you sent over here can not thank you enough.

To my family and friends I am so grateful for all the help and support you are giving me back in the states.

- Jason Merry -

1 comment:

Connie said...

Hi Jason! Just wanted to let you know that Martin and I are thinking of you. My parents used to live in Panama City... I have been to El Valle and done the zipline and horseback riding. I'm happy that we will be able to talk about that experience together. The world holds many wonders, no? Get back safely! :-)

Big hugs and kisses,
Connie & Martin
xoxo